Master of Arts (MA) in Interaction & UI/UX Design
Academy of Art University
San Francisco, USA
Distance Learning, On-Campus
USD 1,276 *
Earliest start date
* per unit for international students | $1,218 per unit for domestic students. Additional fees apply
The M.A. in Interaction and UI/UX Design provides professional study for students pursuing a career in web design and new media. Progress is measured through a rigorous process to achieve a final project portfolio.
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Gather, analyze and apply the information necessary to develop design solutions centered on real target users
- Create interactive architecture to support the needs of the projects’ functionality
- Effectively utilize grid, hierarchy, typography, color, and composition
- Apply the above design principles to effectively implement and show interactivity appropriate to the project
- Demonstrate an understanding of the current interactive technologies by selecting the appropriate technical tools to complete substantive projects and a professional portfolio site
- Demonstrate a realistic consideration of potential users
- Apply testing results to refine projects throughout the design process, documenting key iterations along the way
- Present a clearly defined portfolio that comprehensively integrates all the skills learned in the MA program
- Accurately cite or credit sources used to develop portfolio work
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.
Academy of Art University offers some of the best training and hands-on experience to help accelerate your career. We pride ourselves in doing an exceptional job preparing you to excel in your future web design career. Our degree programs are designed to equip aspiring artists and designers with a comprehensive toolbox of marketable skills that lead to success in the interaction and UI/UX design industries.
User Experience Designer
As a user experience designer, you’ll use the User Centered Design process to understand the what, why, and how a product is used. You’ll get to know your users through research and you’ll use their input to guide the process so that you can provide them with a design that is not only intuitive but also delightful.
As a product designer, you'll focus on designing new features for digital products. You will create visual designs, and interactive prototypes, and work with design staff, developers, and business stakeholders involved in the creation and maintenance of a project.
As a user-interface designer, you'll work with user experience designers and developers to create mockups, prototypes, and layouts for web applications and dashboards.
An interactive designer is responsible for design strategy, identifying key interactions of a product, creating and testing prototypes, and keeping up to date on technology trends. Combining strong design thinking and excellent visual design skills, you’ll create digital products that impact the user.
As a mobile designer, you'll create new and engaging experiences for emerging mobile devices and screens.
As a motion designer, you'll concept user interfaces, interaction animations, and design for emerging devices and platforms.
|Graduate Liberal Arts||3|
- Successful completion of Final Portfolio Review
- A minimum grade of C in all required 36 units
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and the following Academic Study requirements:
- 1 Art Historical Awareness & Aesthetic course
- ADV 605: Digital Graphics (Major)
- IXD 601: Tech 1: Front-End (Major)
- IXD 606: User Experience Design (Major)
- IXD 605: Visual Design & Typography 1 (Major)
- IXD 608: Tech 2: Back-End (Major)
- IXD 613: Motion Graphics and Video (Major)
- GLA 615: History of Graphic Design (Graduate Liberal Arts)
- IXD 618: Advanced Tech: CMS (Major)
- IXD 635: Visual Design & Typography 2 (Major)
- ADV 695YH: Collaborative Project: Young & Hungry Creative Lab (Major)
- IXD 700: User Experience: Human-Centered Design (Major)
- IXD 755: Masters Portfolio (Major)
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.