We’ve been challenging traditions for almost 170 years
We make lives better by producing leaders of society and equipping our people with leadership qualities so they can serve our communities at every level.
Facts & figures
students (based on student enrolments as of August 2019)
continuing and fixed-term staff (based on University statistics on 31 December 2018)
alumni in more than 170 countries
Leadership through excellence in teaching and research.
We offer the widest range of academic programs of any university in Australia.
Our teachers, researchers and leading thinkers are paving the way for solutions to complex global issues impacting our health, environment, technology and culture.
Across our faculties, we have research teams working on creating cleaner fuels, faster internet, treatment for chronic illness, and more sustainable ways of living.
Vision and values
Leading to improve the world around us
Since our inception, we have believed in education for all and leadership that improves lives in all of the communities that we serve.
The values that inspire our work
Four clusters of values inform the University's ongoing commitment to excellence and transforming our culture so that everyone – across all of our campuses – can thrive.
- Courage and creativity
- We challenge the status quo so that we can find new ways of thinking.
- We will work together in a culture that adapts to change and is unafraid of failure.
- We will not be limited by what we know now; rather, we will encourage each other to explore further and imagine a better world.
- Respect and integrity
- We value every member of the University for the contribution they can make to our collective success.
- We will act with the highest regard for academic freedom, collegiality, and robust and respectful debate.
- When we disagree, we will not dismiss each other’s ideas, nor undervalue expertise.
- Diversity and inclusion
- Our work is stronger because we value different and unique perspectives.
- We will advocate for all to realise their full potential.
- We will never limit people’s pursuit of excellence on the basis of their background or circumstances.
- Openness and engagement
- We will seek and be open to new ideas.
- We will make a global impact by listening to and understanding the needs and aspirations of others.
- We will always look for what we can learn and how we can contribute to the well-being of the communities we serve.