Welcome to Vilnius University – the oldest and largest Lithuanian higher education institution.
Since its establishment in the 16th century, Vilnius University, as an integral part of European science and culture has embodied the concept of a classical university and the unity of studies and research.
Vilnius University is an active participant in international scientific and academic activities and boasts many prominent scientists, professors, and graduates. Scientific development and the expanding relations with global research centers have contributed to a variety of research and studies at Vilnius University.
With the support of social partners, the university educates globally-minded specialists who successfully integrate into the modern European community.
Why Choose Vilnius University
- Vilnius University is a classical university with over 430 years of academic traditions and the widest range of study programs in Lithuania.
- The university offers an academic environment focused on excellence in research and teaching.
- Vilnius University is 1st in Lithuania according to a national ranking. It is the most popular and most acknowledged higher education establishment among Lithuanian secondary school graduates.
- Vilnius University is Lithuania’s leading academic institution, ranked among the top 400 universities worldwide (QS).
The mission of Vilnius University is to create, accumulate, and disseminate knowledge by ensuring the continuity of authentic university culture distinguished by the atmosphere where old traditions and new ideas enrich each other.
Freedom of thought and diversity of opinions are the main values of the University community. A unity of research and studies is the core principle of the overall activity of the University.
The University should distinguish itself by a broad spectrum of fundamental and applied research. It should seek to assume the leading position among other Lithuanian institutions in all research areas that are essential to the very nature of a comprehensive University and set itself the goal of international excellence in interdisciplinary research. The University should be committed to the mission of opening the doors and providing universal education for the most talented young people from all districts of Lithuania and educating active and responsible specialists, who demonstrate the need to expand their knowledge and improve professionally and who are able to learn throughout their lifetime. The University should seek that the quality of all forms of studies conforms to the modern culture and technologies and pertains to the needs of the state and society.
- To position and distinguish itself in European research and education area through top-level research, which should be sustained by the University’s research teams of international acclaim and new teams, as well as to ensure annually increasing involvement in European research and educational programs;
- to ensure that the balanced development and interaction of research in humanities, social, physical, biomedical, and technological sciences remains the most outstanding feature of the University, which essentially differentiates it from other Lithuanian establishments of higher education and research;
- to initiate and actively implement projects of value for the economic development of the country, which would encourage effective cooperation of scientific and educational institutions with high technology companies and create favorable conditions and environment for innovations and entrepreneurship;
- to create a well-functioning quality assurance system that would guarantee effective monitoring of the existing study programs and development of new programs and which would encourage the implementation of advanced teaching methods and tools. The system should ensure that generic and specific competencies and skills of University graduates are consistent with the needs and tendencies in the economy, culture, and labor market of the country;
- to significantly expand non-consecutive, distance, and other flexible study forms and methods and become the center of continuous professional improvement and lifelong learning, which plays an important role in the transition of the country toward a knowledge-based society.
Living in Lithuania
Cost of Living
Be realistic while planning your expenses during your stay in Lithuania - it is essential that you have enough money for the whole duration of your study period!
The likely monthly living costs are provided below. These costs are based on a student who lives in Vilnius or Kaunas and has no dependents. Tuition fees, residence permit expenses, and trips to your home country are not included.
Public Transport in Vilnius
Trolleybuses and buses start running at 5:00 in the morning and stop running at midnight. There are as well night buses that run overnight. The timetables can be found on the official Vilnius Public Transport websiteor on mobile applications such as “m.Ticket” or “Trafi”. The apps are easy to use and give the most accurate timetables so they are highly recommended for you.
Public Transport in Kaunas
Trolleybuses and buses start running at 6:30 in the morning and stop running at 22:00 in the evening. There are as well night buses on weekends and festive days. The timetables can be found on the website www.stops.lt/kaunas/#kaunas/en or on mobile applications such as “Trafi”. It is easy to use and gives the most accurate timetables so we would highly recommend it to you.
For those who want to use a mobile phone in Lithuania may choose between three mobile phone companies: Telia, Tele2, or Bite. It is much cheaper to use a pre-paid card from one of these companies than to use the services of your home country.
You could get the pre-paid card in most of the grocery stores or specialized company shops. There you could also get information on the best ways to use your card. Please find the addresses of the subdivisions of these companies by following the provided links.
Lithuania’s climate is transitional between maritime and continental. The average temperature is approximately +20ºC (sometimes it rises over +30ºC) in the summertime and -5ºC (it also may fall to –15ºC or –20ºC) in winter so be prepared for changing weather.