ABOUT CA' FOSCARI
Originally established as Italy’s first business school in 1868, Ca’ Foscari University of Venice is now a multidisciplinary institution offering a wide range of study programs in economics and management, modern languages, the humanities, and the sciences.
Ca’ Foscari is ranked third in Italy for the excellence of its research, and it has earned so many of the coveted European Commission Marie Curie research fellowships that it is one of Europe’s ten most successful universities in this regard. Globally, the QS World University Rankings place Ca’ Foscari among the top 100 universities for Modern Languages, the top 150 for History, the best 200 for Linguistics and Geography, and the top 250 for Economics & Econometrics and Accounting & Finance.
Ca' Foscari main building - Grand Canal
Ca’ Foscari is based in the awe-inspiring city of Venice. With canals and boats instead of streets and cars, this city’s truly singular historic center has been a vibrant place of cultural and economic exchange for over a millennium, and the beauty of its art and architecture has made it a UNESCO World Heritage site. Thanks to the stimulating cultural legacy of its dynamic cosmopolitan context, Ca’ Foscari is characterized by the synergetic intersection of tradition and intellectual innovation, offering its students and professors the uniquely rewarding opportunity to learn and work in one of the world’s most remarkable cities.
Ca' Foscari international students
Ca’ Foscari has approximately 23,000 students and hosts over 1,300 international students each year. In the firm belief that higher education and cutting-edge research must be both innovative and international, the university has forged an extensive academic network of partner universities spanning the globe, allowing it to offer a variety of joint and double bachelor’s and master’s degrees and over 700 active exchange agreements with institutions all over the world. Ca’ Foscari also prepares its students for the competitive global workplace and fosters an international, inclusive academic community by offering study programs taught in English at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Meet lecturers from all around the world - Aula Baratto, Ca' Foscari main building
Ca’ Foscari University is located in the world-famous city of Venice, a unique urban center situated in a lagoon on the north-eastern coast of Italy that is directly connected to the Adriatic Sea.
Venice is a city in northeastern Italy and the capital of the Veneto region. It is built on an archipelago located in a shallow lagoon that comprises over 100 islands connected by footbridges. Since canals take the place of roads, people move around the city by foot and by boat. In fact, Venice is Europe’s largest modern urban car-free city.
The city is characterized by a wealth of stunning historic architecture and art because the historical Republic of Venice was a thriving trading port and major maritime power during the Middle Ages and Renaissance, so some of the city’s sites are included on UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites.
In addition to a colorful past, however, Venice has an equally vibrant present, for it continues to be a hub of contemporary art and culture.
Living in the historic center of Venice means living an environmentally conscious lifestyle. Due to the need to walk most places, the city’s public spaces become social hubs. In fact, one of the most eagerly awaited moments in a Venetian student’s day is the so-called aperitivo in campo or outdoor aperitif: from the afternoon through to late evening, areas such as Campo Santa Margherita and the Erbarìa at Rialto turn into venues where people gather to chat and listen to music while they drink spritz and eat cicchetti – the traditional local aperitif and snacks that Venice is famous for.
Ca’ Foscari University of Venice’s study offer is divided into 8 Departments responsible for research and teaching activities of Bachelor’s and Master’s, 3 schools, and the prestigious Collegio Internazionale (International College). Three other structures exist alongside these:
- Ca' Foscari Graduate School, which coordinates Research Doctorates (PhDs).
- Ca’ Foscari Challenge School, which organizes Professional Master’s Programmes (1st and 2nd level) and other opportunities for executive education.
- Ca’ Foscari School for International Education, which promotes intensive summer and autumn courses, orientation programs, foundation year programs, and other extracurricular activities for Italian and international students.
Dedicated to providing students with a stimulating, competitive, and cutting-edge education, Ca’ Foscari has created an extensive academic network of partner universities that spans the globe, and as a result, it offers a variety of joint and double bachelor’s and master’s degrees and has over 700 active international exchange agreements. As a consequence of the University’s dedication to nurturing an international academic community, Ca’ Foscari also offers a significant number of study programs taught in English.
Thanks to over 700 cooperation agreements between international universities and Ca’ Foscari, you can spend some time studying abroad in over 70 countries all over the world. The International Office promotes the outgoing mobility of Ca' Foscari students by participating in the leading international mobility programs, developing relationships with foreign host universities and companies, and providing incentives for participation by all members of the university community.
For more information, please visit the webpage
Few other universities offer the opportunity to study and carry out research in one of the world’s most beautiful cities, a very unique city, where you can wander for hours and even enjoy getting lost, have a Spritz in one of Venice beautiful squares, visit the world-famous museums and exhibitions, travel by boat through the smaller islands of the lagoon, enjoy the Lido beaches and taste delicious food.
At Ca' Foscari, cultural tradition and intellectual innovation are able to come together: living in Venice is living art, architecture, development, research, attention to the environment, and discovering ancient traditions and different cultures.
Furthermore, Ca’ Foscari guarantees students a well-rounded study experience through its provision a large variety of sports activities and student associations:
- Erasmus Student Network (ESN) – With over 12,000 members from 36 countries, the Erasmus Student Network supports and promotes international networking by providing students with opportunities for cultural understanding and self-development according to the principle of students helping students.
- University Sports Centre (CUS) – The CUS offers students the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of sports thanks to its facilities in the historic center of Venice.
- Radio Ca’ Foscari – Created by students of Ca’ Foscari, the university’s online radio station is an immensely popular means of communication. Interesting students can take part in its operation on the basis of their individual skills and experience.
- University Choir and Orchestra – For more than twenty-five years Ca’ Foscari’s choir and orchestra have been offering students the opportunity to explore and foster their love for music. The groups’ repertoires change from year to year and range from medieval to contemporary pieces.
- Shylock University Theatre Centre (CUT) – Shylock is a cultural association aimed at promoting technical-artistic innovation in the field of theatrical performance. It organizes training and experimental workshops, hosts visiting productions and shows, and carries out research and production projects.
Plus, if you choose to live in Venice's historic centre, you'll surely enjoy living locally and sustainably thanks to the fact that distances are manageable and there are no cars or traffic to compete with.
STUDENT FACILITIES AND SERVICES
Ca’ Foscari’s main campus is located in the heart of Venice’s historic center, but it also has additional campuses on the mainland.
It offers students the use of:
- 6 libraries,
- the School for International Education,
- the post-graduate Challenge School,
- a language study center: The center provides foreign language courses in English, French, Russian, Spanish, and German at various levels.
- exhibition spaces,
- a theatre,
- a sports center,
- canteens: The university has canteens in many locations, both in the historic center of Venice and on the mainland campuses in Mestre, Marghera, and Treviso,
- students associations
- students offices: eg. The International Welcome Unit offers a wide range of services for international beneficiaries, such as guidance and assistance for enrolment procedures, recognition of academic qualifications, the visa application process, residency permit, student services, health issues, and transportation. For more information, please visit the webpage.
Ca’ Foscari assists students during their entire University career by offering a range of loans, grants, and bursaries through its Financial Aid Office. Tailor-made support is available to international students, students who work, and students with disabilities.
In order to strengthen the presence of international students and to enrich its global community, Ca’ Foscari is offering talented international students financial assistance in two forms:
- tuition fee waivers–full exemption from payment of university tuition and fees
- one-time scholarships of 5,000 EUR/each
For more information, please visit the webpage
One of the students' libraries
Ca’ Foscari’s Housing Office is a service for Italian and international students, researchers, professors, and administrative staff coming to study or work at Ca’ Foscari. It offers useful information and contacts to find suitable and convenient accommodation solutions in Venice and in the nearby area.
For more information, please visit the webpage.
Career Support & Career Day
The Career Office arranges internships and work placements both in Italy and abroad, it also conducts career fairs, recruitment drives, and workshops to help current students and recent graduates acquire the professional skills they need to be competitive in the job market. For more information, please visit the webpage
Career day is a full-day event dedicated to recruitment during which undergraduates and recent graduates can meet the managers of the participating companies and get to know the working world. Students can visit the stands of companies, distribute their CVs, take part in interviews, and acquire information about the professional opportunities and career options open to them. Career Day also involves a range of workshops, seminars, and company presentations.
30123 Venice, Veneto, Italy
Ca' Cappello San Polo 2035, Calle del Magazen
30125 Venice, Veneto, Italy
San Giobbe, Cannaregio 873
30121 Venice, Veneto, Italy
Malcanton Marcorà, Dorsoduro 3484/D
30123 Venice, Veneto, Italy
Via Torino 155
30170 Venice, Veneto, Italy
Palazzo San Paolo, Riviera Santa Margherita 76
31100 Treviso, Veneto, Italy
Via Sile 6
31056 Roncade, Veneto, Italy