The Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest is a technical university that trains higher education specialists in the fields of civil engineering, building services engineering, mechanical engineering/technological equipment and machines, environmental engineering, geodesic engineering, management and engineering and systems engineering.
The Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest, a direct descendant of the National School of Roads and Bridges founded, in Romania, nearly a century and a half ago, is nowadays the pennant of Technical Education in Romania. The curricula cover all the fields of civil engineering and environmental protection, as well as adjacent fields such as building services, technological equipment, geodesy. In recent years, the curricula have been diversified and, presently, they include specialist domains in the field of systems engineering, as well as that of foreign languages.
With a rich tradition and outstanding teaching staff, who have set and are still setting the benchmarks in engineering education and who have also contributed and are still contributing to the completion of certain reference work in our country, the University is accredited for all higher education cycles - bachelor, master and PhD studies. Currently, there are over 6,200 students matriculated for the first two cycles and over 300 doctoral students.
The teaching staff comprises about 440 members, with an equal balance between full and associate professors, lecturers, young assistants and teaching assistants. The entire teaching staff is engaged in research, design and consulting activities, directly contributing to offering knowledge in the field as well as to financing the development programmes.
Following the institutional assessment of 2009, the University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest has won a HIGH CONFIDENCE rank which proves that the University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest has all the necessary equipment and teaching staff to achieve a high-quality education.
Higher education in civil engineering in Romania was founded in 1864, in Bucharest by setting up a "School of Bridges and Roads, Mines and Architecture" which, in 1867 became the "School of Bridges, Roads and Mines" and "the National School for Bridges and Roads" in 1888. In 1921, the "National School of Bridges and Roads" became the "Polytechnic School of Bucharest", where the engineers' training was carried out in the Engineering Department which, in 1938, came to be known as the Faculty of Civil Engineering.
In 1948, following an Education Reform, the Faculty of Civil Engineering was separated from the Polytechnic School (which became the Polytechnic Institute) and became an independent higher education institution, called the Civil Engineering Institute of Bucharest. Starting with the academic year 1994-1995, the Civil Engineering Institute of Bucharest became The Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest.
From 1864 till 1948, The National School of Bridges and Roads and then the Civil Engineering Department of the Polytechnic School trained 2,137 engineers, under the guidance of renowned teachers such as: Spiru Haret, Anghel Saligny, Elie Radu, Gheorghe Titeica, David Emanuel Andrei Ioachimescu, Gheorghe Filipescu, Ion Ionescu, whose endeavors and achievements have laid the foundation of the Romanian science and technology in civil engineering.
From 1948 to 2008, over 37,000 engineers graduated from the Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest. During this interval, the university teaching staff included outstanding personalities in the field of science and engineering; among them: the academicians Aurel Beles, Cristea Mateescu, Dumitru Dumitrescu, Stefan Balan, Michael Hangan, Victor Smith, Alexander Steopoe, Priscu Radu, Emil Botea, Alexander Gheorghiu, Andrei Caracostea, Panaite Mazilu, Ion Stanculescu and others who have all carried on their predecessors' tradition.
020396 Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania