Thank you for your interest in City and Islington College.
We are London’s Leading College, and the only College in London judged outstanding on every measure by Ofsted.
We are the first choice Further Education College for thousands of young people across London who achieve excellent academic results. 1400 of our students progressed to higher education last year.
It is our mission to deliver exceptional learning experiences for our students and to help them achieve their ambitions. Many of the achievements made by our students are incredible and out of the ordinary. From a wide range of starting points, students show that with the right attitude and approach, and with support from creative and expert staff, exceptional things can happen. Bold ambitions can be achieved.
We receive many external awards, but we are most proud of the recognition from our students. 95% tell us they feel respected and safe here, that the teaching is good, and they would recommend the College to a friend.
At City and Islington, we offer you
- Modern and exciting places to learn
- Skilled and highly qualified teachers with industry experience who are passionate and brilliant at what they do
- Individual support to ensure you are successful
- Enrichment opportunities, work experience and mentoring to help you gain key life and employability skills
Students learn in one of our five centres, each of which is a discrete community of students and staff focused on courses and qualifications within a particular specialism, which come together to form a single College that is diverse and exciting. Across each centre, we work with over 200 employers to provide you with clear lines of sight to work.
Whether you are taking an academic or vocational route to your further study, I am confident we will have a course that meets your needs. I hope very much that you will choose to join us and become part of the next chapter in our success story.
Principal Sir Frank McLoughlin KBE
Is what we do well every day – EXCEPTIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING FOR EVERY STUDENT.
Is what the future looks like – TO BE LONDON’S LEADING COLLEGE.
Taken together, our mission and vision galvanise and bind those working within the College – staff, students, and partners. They are not bland statements that sit framed on a wall, largely ignored: they are catalysts for action.
What does our mission mean?
To provide EXCEPTIONAL education and training for EVERY student is our mission. Being exceptional is being unusually good at what we do: but being exceptional some of the time, for some students, is insufficient. Consistency is key.
At City and Islington College exceptional training and education:
- Is rigorously focused on creating the best outcomes for students
- Enables and encourages all students to set their sights high and achieve their ambitions
- Goes beyond qualifications; giving students the skills and qualities they need for long-term success in a global economy
- Has a clear line of sight to work
- Is highly relevant, innovative and future-focused
- Is shaped by the needs of students and employers
Is delivered by staff who are passionate, knowledgeable and committed.
What do we value?
Our values are the key ideas and principles that people within our organisation and our partners believe are important; they define the way we work.
- Students and staff are dedicated to great learning; learning that is consistently high quality, relevant and focused on outcomes.
- Ambition is part of our DNA as an organisation – we are always looking for ways to grow and develop what we do for the benefit of our students
- All our students are supported to develop and achieve their ambitions.
- Our staff have high aspirations for every student and for themselves. They are encouraged to be bold and creative in their work.
- Students and staff work together to help every student achieve success
- We work closely with employers and other partners; drawing in outside expertise to help us secure better outcomes for students
- Everyone is given the best possible opportunities to learn and be successful
- Each student and every member of staff is treated as an individual and with respect.
Since 1993 over a quarter of a million young people and adults have studied in further education at City and Islington College. They have come with all sorts of experiences and ambitions and represented every kind of London background. They have studied at many levels – from beginners in English as a second language to Foundation degrees – and grappled with a vast range of subjects and skills. The time they have spent at the College ranges from one to four years and some have completed multiple programmes of study.
The headline statistic in terms of student progress is this: in 1993, well under 50% of students achieved success in their courses. By 2014 the success rate was 85%.
Powerful stories of success, plus performance statistics, inspection reports and awards capture the fullest picture of our history.
N7 0RN London, England, United Kingdom